Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Family in the Know

Like a couple sharing happy baby news, my husband and I sat with my family over breakfast, growing more nervous by the minutes. It was time to share the "crazy" that had pulsed inside me for the previous month.

I felt this was necessary for many reasons. After putting me through six years of higher-education, it was only natural that my family would expect me to immediately pursue work in that field. It made more sense for a 15-year-old to go and tell Daddy she was going to be in the Olympics than a married 25-almost-26 (will be 27 by the Olympics)-year old. I was an adult. I should have known better than to do something so foolish!

But my Daddy was always the one to urge me toward my potential.

I decided to be blunt.

"So, Daylen and I have had a little more vision for a part of our future." Deep breath. The breakfast table goes silent. Expectant. Fluttering nerves. "I'm going to race snowboarding for the next year with the goal of going to the Olympics."

Stunned momentary silence. My Dad's jaw dropped in the most genuine shock I'd ever seen, Mom and her twin sister squealed "What?" in excited unison. My brother sat there in observatory calm, and my little sister laughed a little and whispered a passionate, "Yes!".

It all went better than I could have ever dreamed. Not a single rejection. Not a single challenge. In fact, my family did quite the opposite. They grew excited for me. Dad started talking about the different types of wax I could use for races, my older sister analyzed my training schedule and shared instructions for when I'd physically peak for the races, my little sister gave me an ab-workout list, and my Mom asked, "So when should we buy tickets to Russia?"
Daylen and I prayed that God would prepare their hearts. It's pretty clear to say He exceeded our request.

No comments:

Post a Comment